Thursday, September 9, 2021

Welcome to the Desert

 


months since Death Valley
one intoxicated dream
turns and returns to where it was
or somewhere like it
another desert
 

 





Red rocks jut upward on the west side of Zion National Park just as they do on the popular and crowded east side, but the only way to see them is to hike.  Tyler Creek is fine route if you start early to catch the sun’s first rays on the peaks and avoid the afternoon heat. 

 






High on the canyon wall, a lizard begins to warm himself in the rising sun, I imagine he does.  





 


Manganese, carried by sliding water and fixed by bacteria, adds black stripes to the red sandstone here on the western flank of the Colorado Plateau, where it joins the Basin-Range Physiographic Province—that great stretch that extends from here all the way across Nevada.  Many kinds of rocks are reported to resident here, and I hope to find some of them in the weeks ahead.  



 




Deep in the canyon, Tyler Creek follows a crack in the Colorado Plateau and waters a host of oaks, pines and firs.  They provide just enough breaks in their canopy to the see the red cliffs above.  






 

An unearthly feeling to arrive among the red rocks of Utah.  This landscape so foreign to the trees of Pasadena.  A strong reminder of how far away from home I am.  


To enlarge any picture, just click on it.  Escape to return.

 

15 comments:

  1. Sharon! I am amazed the mountains have posed for your wandering camera eye! Keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too, Alex. Long as I have lived, through many tectonic jerks and slides, mountains don’t stand still very long.

      Delete
  2. Hello Sharon,

    Thanks for the ‘inside’ View ~ we get to Vicariously Venture within the company of your Vivacious Verbiage. Vonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junnie, I thought you were going to say Vanvlietful. He was a traveler and photographer who gave me a lot of inspiration.

      Good to hear from you,
      Sharon

      Delete
    2. Yay Sharon we miss you!! Thank you foryoue zoom visit... happy travels! I pugbon my red dress just to read your blog!!
      You are a great inspiration!!

      Love kathabela

      Delete
    3. I put on my red dress like Mt Fuji

      To read your blog!!

      Delete
    4. VanVlietful! He would Love that VERY much.🙂🙃⛵️

      Delete
    5. The colors! The adventure! Thanks for taking us along; you, our intrepid traveler and we, the lucky recipients.

      Delete
    6. Kathabela, If you had come to where I was today, wearing your red dress in front of the red rocks, you might have become a part of the Navajo Sandstone, fixed in stone and still dancing. I brought home a little red rock and might be you.

      I think we need to start a new thread, and not keep using this reply stream.

      Delete
  3. I love how the cliffs seem to be alive with faces. So many portraits in red stone!
    Thank you Sharon for sharing these images!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your boldness, adventures spirit in visiting such a remote areas alone, Thank you for sharing the beauty of nature that is out there, and so beautiful to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos, good to hear from you out there in Arkansas. Speaking of nature and beauty out there, have you done any hikes recently? You little dog Fritz surely asks you the same question. I'd like to get back out there again, maybe do more of the Ozark Highland Trail, but you know all the good hikes in those green hills, as you know the good horses. Love, Sharon

      Delete
    2. Hi Sharon, good to hear from you! I haven't done much hiking this summer, because of the 🔥 weather in Hot Springs, but I have kept myself active walking around the lake and going camping with Kathy and Fritz.
      Love, Carlos

      Delete
    3. Carlos, Maybe sometime not too distant, that tent trailer will find its way to New Mexico, where Kathy, Liz, you and I can visit with Sharon Rizk and hike in the wilderness there. Adventures start with wild ideas that lead to wild places.

      Delete